Thursday, January 31, 2008

Kuala Selangor's Fireflies

How it looked during the day. But you won't be able to see any firefly shining bums during the day.

On last Tuesday, my friends and I went to Kuala Selangor, Malaysia, to see their (Kuala Selangor) fireflies. Kuala Selangor has been famous for their fireflies. It is not famous as a kind of food, but it is famous for how they make bushes look like Christmas trees.

I always wanted to go there, but rumours says that the fireflies numbers has decrease already. Some even made it sounded like it has all disappeared. This is due to the building of a dam. This causes the water to rise and destroy a kind of bush at the mangrooves which are the places where the fireflies hang out.



But i am not really sure if the dam has been built or not, but yes they are decreasing. It was a pretty sight. In my opinion, there were many fireflies because i saw many christmas trees. I actually expected to see much less than this, but i would still be satisfied. Seeing these fireflies at their natural habitat is a nice thing to see. I wonder how did they look like when they were a lot?

When I saw them, I was touched. I didn't know why. I guess I was sad with what the goverment wanted to do or has done ( building the dam ). Not every where you can see these christmas trees, they even became a tourist attraction. I am sad that they don't see the value in these places.

Bukit Malawati light house in Kuala Selangor town

Well yes, I know building the dam will make them gain a net profit, but we will lose something so valueble. It is like killing a few lives to save a millions lives would be the choice most people take, but it doesn't mean that it is the right choice. Lives are still taken away. Get what I mean?

I also feel angry how my parents used to tell me that the fireflies are gone, when i wanted to go there and see last year. So they never took me there until i insisted this week because my friend said he did not want to travel to the Amazon to see fireflies when Malaysia still has some of them.

Well, all I want to say is, for those who haven't seen them and they live in Malaysia, go and see them, enjoy mother nature's beauty before they vanish and becomes history.

No comments:

Post a Comment